Department of Microbiology
One of the Oldest Department in the Someshwar region began its academic activities in the year 2007, with the introduction of Microbiology as an optional subject at graduate level in the academic year 2012-13. In short span of the time, the department has established its impression as a centre for Quality education. The department is housed in a specious laboratory complex of Someshwar Science College and has state of the art equipment and the facilities required for students. The department has developed good interface with the National companies for training and placement. The department offers course on General Microbiology which includes the subjects like Medical Microbiology, Genetics & molecular biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Fermentation Technology, Applied Microbiology (Food & Dairy, Agricultural & Environmental Microbiology).
The class size is kept large enough to provide a vibrant learning environment but small enough to alone close interactions between the faculty and the students. Graduate students of the department gain Valuable Knowledge through practical training of the subject, offered as apart of the course curriculum. The department has 1 UG lab, 1instrumentation and a separate preparation room. The Lab is well equipped with modern instruments like Spectrophotometer, Laminar air flow chamber, Microcentifuge, Autoclave, Light & binocular Microscope, Bacteriological Iincubator, refrigerator, pH meter, weighing balance, gel electrophoresis apparatus, rotary shaker to provide quality teaching and job opportunities for students.
The department provides ample scope to students for academics. We counsel our students on their carrier choices and bring job openings and vacancies to their notice by regular display of advertisements Emails and through personals contacts. We also help in their placements through our Alumni network and contacts in industries. Consulatancy and analytical services are offered to farmers and industries in the area of agriculture, Biofertilizers, water analysis and soil analysis.
The department is keen in all round development of the students so as to make them best human resource in the field of Microbiology.
Salient Features Of Department
- Well qualified, skilled and dedicated faculty.
- Advanced teaching and learning resources and methods.
- Career guidance and placement cell for students.
- Collaborations with various Departments of Savitribai Phule Pune University and other reputed institutes such as NIV, NCL, NCCS, NARI, etc. for research projects.
- Department has completed 3 projects funded by Board of College and University Development, University of Pune.
- Department is running 2 projects sanctioned by University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
- Internet Access to the students.
- Separate departmental library.
- Skill development course 'Certificate Course in Pharmaceutical Technique'.
- Well equipped laboratories for academic and research activities.
- Workshops, guest lectures, seminars, exhibition and quiz competition for overall development of the students.